CDC Revises COVID Masking Guidance for Schools, Clarifies Mask Mandate on Buses

 Permanent link   All Posts

CDC Revises COVID Masking Guidance for Schools, Clarifies Mask Mandate on Buses

In an announcement out this afternoon, the CDC announced revised guidance that eases mask guidance for upwards of 70% of the population. As an overview, areas with a high COVID-19 community level (about 30% of the US population), masks would still be recommended. For the remaining 70% of communities, areas with low or medium community level, masks are no longer recommended for the general public.

Notable to the guidance, schools are no longer considered in a unique category when it comes to masking recommendations. That is, under the new guidelines, universal masking in schools is now only recommended in areas with a high level.  

The other big point of information is specific to masking on buses: in the revised guidance, CDC clarifies that the TSA mask mandate for public transportation does not apply to public or private schools, including early care and education/child care programs. CDC is making this change to align with updated guidance that no longer recommends universal indoor mask wearing in K-12 schools and early education settings in areas with a low or medium COVID-19 Community Level. School systems at their discretion may choose to require that people wear masks on buses or vans.